This is an amazing carrot cake recipe! I’ve been making this for several years now and everyone loves it. Sometimes I make it with the traditional cream cheese icing, but it’s equally good with just a simple glaze poured on top since the cake has so much great flavor all on it’s own.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/3 cups vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon all purpose flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1 pound carrots, grated
- 1/2 cup pineapple, tidbits drained
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour, 2 (8in) round cake pans, 1 (13X9) cake pan or 1 bundt pan.
Beat the sugar, oil and eggs together in a bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment until light yellow, then add vanilla.
In another bowl, sift together 2 1/2 cups flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture until well combined. Toss the raisins and nuts with 1 tablespoon of flour. Fold in the carrots, raisins, nuts and pineapple into the cake batter.
Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow cake to cool completely in the pan set over a wire rack.
Cream Cheese Icing
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter, softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 to 4 cups powdered sugar (depending on your desired consistency & sweetness of frosting)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Using an electric mixer, beat together the butter and the cream cheese. Slowly blend in the powdered sugar and vanilla, then beat until smooth and well-combined.
Simple Powdered Sugar Glaze
- 1 1⁄4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk (more if needed)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or lemon juice
Mix milk and vanilla into sugar. Add more milk, 1 Tbs at a time, if needed to achieve desired consistency. Drizzle on cake. (I prefer to do this when making a bundt cake)