A delicious staple recipe in Texas! There are many versions of this recipe. Some people layer the corn tortillas whole, while others like my Mom, cut the tortillas into small squares. Typically this recipe has shredded chicken in it, but I mainly prepare it vegetarian style. Either way it’s easy to throw together and tasty!
- 2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 can (10-3/4 oz each) condensed cream of chicken soup (or cream of celery soup if you want to keep the recipe vegetarian)
- 1 can (10-3/4 oz each) condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can (10 oz each) RoTel Original Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies, undrained
- 2 cans Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast, shredded (optional)
- 20 corn tortillas (6 inch), torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (2 cups = 8 oz)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 13×9-inch baking dish with cooking spray; set aside.
- Add canola oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper; cook and stir about 5 minutes or until tender. Add spices; cook for about 1 minutes. Stir in both soups, undrained tomatoes, black beans and chicken if using.
- Layer one-third each of tortillas and sauce mixture evenly in dish. Repeat layers twice more. Top with cheese. Bake uncovered 30-35 minutes or until hot and bubbly.