This is the best chocolate cake recipe! The cake is moist and fudgy. Cover the cake with chocolate ganache or frosting of your choice.
Pictured below is the chocolate cake with butterscotch whipped cream between the layers and covered with chocolate ganache.
- Unsalted Butter (for greasing pans)
- 1 1/2 cups Unsweetened Cocoa Powder (plus a bit more for pans)
- 3 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 3 cups Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Baking Soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Salt
- 3 large Eggs
- 1 1/2 cups Warm Water
- 1 1/2 cups Buttermilk
- 3/4 cup Canola or Safflower Oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degress.
- Grease cake pans and line with parchment. Butter parchment, then dust with cocoa and tap out excess.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together cocoa, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add eggs, water, buttermilk, oil and vanilla. With an electric micer on low, whisk until smooth (about 3 minutes).
- Divide batter among pans. Bake until a cake tester comes out clean. For 8-inch round layers, 35- 40 minutes. For 9-inch round layers, 50-55 minutes. For a 9-by-13-inch cake, about 75 minutes. For cupcakes, about 20-25 minutes.
- Transfer pans to wire racks and cool 10 minutes, then remove cakes from pans. Continue to let cakes cool on wire racks for 20 to 30 minutes.
Tip: If making the cakes the night before. While cakes are slightly warm to the touch, covered tightly with plastic wrap and store them in the refrigerator. This will help keep the cakes moist.
Chocolate Ganache Recipe
- 8 ounces finely chopped Semisweet Chocolate
- 3/4 cup Heavy Cream
- 2 tablespoons Light Corn Syrup
- Add chocolate to a large heatproof bowl and set aside. Bring cream to a boil in a saucepan.
- Pour cream over chocolate, then let stand 10 minutes. Whisk until smooth and add corn syrup. Stir well until chocolate is shiny. Pour ganache over cooled cake.