My family loves this recipe!! It originally called for kidney beans, but I found them to be chewy and too big. I switched to using a white bean and it works much better. We don’t miss the meat in these sloppy joes.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder (or more if desired)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper (or more if desired)
- 1 (15 ounce) can Cannellini , great northern or navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 rolls or buns
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, celery, carrot, green pepper, and garlic: saute until tender. Stir in tomatoes, chili powder, tomato paste, vinegar, brown sugar and pepper. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in beans, and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Spoon bean mixture evenly on to rolls/buns and replace tops. Serve immediately.