This recipe is a big hit in our family! It’s easy to make and full of flavor. We serve it with yellow rice and naan on the side. I wasn’t able to find garam masala, so I used 1 teaspoons ground coriander, 2 teaspoons ground cardamon and 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon. I bought naan already baked from the grocery store. To soften it up some I wrap it in a moist paper towel and microwave it for 30 seconds. There are many flavors of naan available to buy. We like the garlic and whole grain.
- 4 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 (1 inch) piece fresh ginger root, peeled and minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
- 2 (15 ounce) can peas, drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- Place potatoes and carrots into a large pot and cover with salted water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until just tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and allow to steam dry for a minute or two.
- Meanwhile, heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Season with cumin, cayenne pepper, curry powder, garam masala, ginger, and salt; cook for 2 minutes more. Add the tomatoes, garbanzo beans, peas, potatoes and carrots. Pour in the coconut milk, and bring to a simmer. Simmer 5 to 10 minutes before serving.