These cookies are similar to a shortbread. I prefer to not ground the walnuts too finely. I found that using a cookie dough scooper is easier and a lot faster, then rolling the dough by hand. This was my first time making these cookies and they are now a family favorite. You can use ground hazelnuts or pecans, instead of walnuts. You could also add 1 to 2 tbsp of cocoa powder to the flour mixture if you want chocolate flavor or you can roll cookies in melted chocolate instead of rolling them in confectioners sugar.
- 1 cup finely ground walnuts
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 sticks of butter, softened or 1 1/2 cups margarine
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar, plus 2 cups for dredging
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Combine walnuts, flour and salt in a medium bowl. Mix well and set aside. Beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar and beat until mixture is fluffy. Beat in vanilla, then reduce speed and add flour mixture, mixing until just combined.
- Using your hands, shape dough, 1 tbsp at a time into small balls, then place about 1″ apart on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake until cookies are slightly golden, about 10 minutes. Remove cookies from oven and allow to cool for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Put 2 cups of confectioners sugar in a bowl and roll each cookie in sugar, then transfer to wire rack to cool.