These muffins are absolutely scrumptious out of the oven. The top is crunchy and the inside moist. They keep well in an air tight container, but aren’t as crunchy on top the next day. Chopped apple is also a good addition to these muffins.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1/4 cups milk (I use unsweetened almond milk)
- 2 extra-large eggs
- 1/2 pound unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 cups coarsely chopped fresh cranberries
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Line 18 muffin cups with paper liners. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and ginger in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the mixture and add the milk, eggs, and melted butter. Stir quickly just to combine. Add the cranberries, walnuts or pecans, and both sugars and stir just to distribute the fruits, nuts, and sugar evenly throughout the batter.
Spoon the batter into the paper liners, filling each one to the top. Spray the tops of the muffin pan with non-stick spray, muffins will rise over the top. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until browned on the top and a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffins comes out clean.