Nothing could be easier than throwing everything in the slow cooker, turning it on and leaving it to cook for the day. It’s great to come home to dinner waiting for you and the house filled with a delicious smell! You can eat this ratatouille with cooked pasta or polenta.
- 1 small eggplant (about 1 pound)
- 1 medium-size zucchini
- 1 medium-size onion
- 2 medium-size sweet bell peppers
- 6 button mushrooms
- 2 to 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- black pepper and salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 to 2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flake (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped basil
- Olive oil, for drizzling (optional)
Chop the vegetables how ever you like. Remember it cooks down quite a bit, so you might not want to do a mince or fine chop. I tend to cut the eggplant and zucchini in medium cubes, quarter the whole mushrooms, cut the onion and bell pepper in thick strips, and cut the garlic cloves in half.