- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 (15-ounce cans) cannellini or other white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 bunch (about 1 pound) Swiss chard, stems removed, leaves chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 11/2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Freshly ground black pepper for seasoning
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese(optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
Add 1 teaspoon salt, cumin, fennel seeds, oregano, and chili powder. Cook, stirring frequently, about 8 minutes. Stir the flour into the mixture, cook for about 2 minutes.
Add the beans, Swiss chard, corn, and stock. Bring the mixture to a simmer, scraping up the brown bits that cling to the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Simmer for 55-60 minutes until the liquid has reduced by about half and the soup has thickened.
Add the red pepper flakes and simmer for another 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Ladle the soup into serving bowls. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley, if desired.