This recipe is easy and delicious. A great way to introduce polenta to the kids. You can easily use vegan cheese or none at all. The cheese helped me to get my kids to try it, though. I have bought already made polenta before, but have found that it’s cheaper and easy enough to make it myself.
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 medium bell pepper, coarsely chopped (1 cup)
- 1 small unpeeled eggplant, (1 pound), diced (2 cups)
- 1 medium zucchini, diced (1 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) Italian-style stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tube (16 ounces) polenta (or any flavor) or make your own polenta
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup finely shredded mozzarella cheese (3 ounces)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oven to 375ºF. Spray 12-inch nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium-high heat. Cook onion and bell pepper in skillet 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in eggplant, zucchini, salt and pepper. Cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender. Stir in tomatoes, breaking up with spoon; reduce heat to low. Cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Spray rectangular baking dish, 11x7x1 1/2 inches, with cooking spray. Cut polenta into 1/4-inch slices. Arrange slices on bottom of dish, overlapping and cutting to fit where necessary. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Spoon vegetable mixture evenly over top.
- Cover and bake 30 minutes. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and parsley. Bake uncovered about 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and casserole is bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.