- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 kiwis, peeled, halved lengthwise, and thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 cups fresh berries of your choice
- Preheat oven to 200, with rack in center. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside. In a small bowl, whisk sugar and cornstarch until combined.
- Make meringue: In a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat egg whites, lemon juice, and salt until very frothy. Add 1 tablespoon sugar mixture every 30 seconds, until stiff, glossy peaks form, about 8 minutes total, scraping down sides of bowl halfway through.
- Mound meringue onto prepared baking sheet; gently spread to a 9-inch circle, with a well in the center and a 1-inch raised border around the edge.
- Bake until shell is crisp on the outside and marshmallowy on the inside, about 2 1/2 hours (reduce oven temperature to 175 if it starts to brown). Turn oven off; let meringue dry out in closed oven for another 2 1/2 hours, or up to overnight.
- Just before serving, using an electric mixer, beat cream and vanilla in a medium bowl until soft peaks form. Fill shell with whipped cream, and top with fruit. To serve, use a serrated knife to cut into wedges.